OK, it’s late, you’re groggy, and suddenly the baby won’t sleep. Whether she’s teething or gassy, here are some tricks to try for a happy baby, and a slightly more restful night.
1. Do a Diaper Check
Obvious one, right? But, still very important!
2. Check For Gas
Gas is typically the culprit for baby nighttime pains. Try some baby yoga: Lay baby on her back and gently press her bent legs toward her chest. If there’s gas, it will come out. Another option is to hold baby up high near your shoulder and rub her back.
3. Try Feeding
After a diaper change and gassy tummy fix, it may be time for some milk — yum!
4. Hold Baby and Whisper a Song
If she doesn’t want to nurse/drink, or is done but still not feeling well, hold baby close and sing her a lullaby. (I used to have “Goodnight, Sleep Tight” on repeat at nighttime but also made up my own nighttime songs for my little one.)
5. Stand Up and Sway
Next, you may notice that your baby want you to stand up, hold her tight, sing, and gently sway or dance. There are nights were she may calm down and start to fuss again once you try to sit down with her.
6. Take Baby Outside
If all of the above isn’t working, take baby outside of the room to a different area of the house, or outside to look at the stars. The change in environment can sometimes calm babies, and the fresh night air is nice.
7. Slowly Go Back to Sleep
Once baby is feeling better, check her diaper, rock her, and slowly make your way back to bed. If you nurse and co-sleep, take your time sitting at the edge of the bed before trying to lay down with her again, especially if the culprit was an upset tummy.
- The 9 Most Common Postpartum Nutrient Deficiencies and How to Prevent Them
- A Hidden Postpartum Crisis: The 411 on Postnatal Depletion Syndrome
- 6 Things You Need to Know Before Becoming a Dad
- Fantastic Family Gift Ideas for Creating Holiday Memories
- Meaningful Gifts For Her Under $150
- 4 Diaper Tips Every Parent Should Know
- Useful Gifts for Baby’s 1st Christmas
- A Gorgeous Last-Minute Panda First Birthday Party
- 3 Reasons You Need to Go to the Watermark Conference For Women
- Last Look: Sunset Magazine in Menlo Park
- Video: Make Fresh-Squeezed Hawaiian Lemonade
- 10 Things Families Should Know About Grand Hyatt Kaua’i Resort and Spa