As much as we try to stay “in-tune” with our kids, they are changing so much with each day, and so are we. We’re getting older! It isn’t always easy to play princess party when they want you to, or to have a completely TV or device-free day, but there are little things we as parents can do to play with our kids the way kids do, and really make the most of your time together.
1. Use your Imagination
Cows don’t have to be colored brown or black and white, let them be pink, or green! Have fun doodling crazy creatures with your child, or pretending the tea she just gave you is the best apricot, lavender, lemon peppermint tea you’ve ever had.
2. Get Goofy
No one’s looking, OK, someone is — your child. Let loose and play dress up (even if you’re a dad who doesn’t do tiaras), because your participation in goofy game rules and funny dress up means the world to them. Remember to add a lot of encouragement and positive parenting to this one (while reigning in some of the inappropriate goofy things).
3. Play in the Dirt
Kiddos love to dig in the garden with you, so take this time to build something beautiful the whole family can enjoy, or simply have a blast outdoors. Whether you go on a mini hike, to see giant waterfalls, pick up trash on the beach, or play pirates in the sand box, it will be a blast.
4. Enjoy Pastimes
Did you love playing dodge ball, volley ball, or skip-it when you were younger? If your child is old enough, share these favorites with her. Kids today still love hop scotch, painting rocks, and trying out the slip and slide on a hot day.
5. Make Time
Carving out time for play is essential as a parent. It really does have to be factored into the daily schedule so that you don’t feel rushed, and aren’t checking your phone for updates the entire playtime. Little ones have no concept of deadlines, there’s just the here and now, so it’s important to be a part of that if you want to participate in playtime with your child.
What are your tips and tricks for being a kid? Please share in the comment section below!
- 8 Clever Family Halloween Costumes You’ll Want to Try This Year
- The 9 Most Common Postpartum Nutrient Deficiencies and How to Prevent Them
- A Hidden Postpartum Crisis: The 411 on Postnatal Depletion Syndrome
- 6 Things You Need to Know Before Becoming a Dad
- The Copy & Paste Baby Registry
- Wonderland-Inspired Half Birthday
- Useful Gifts for Baby’s 1st Christmas
- 7 Super Awesome Valentine’s Day Crafts for Parents & Kids
- The Big List of 2017 Birthing and Baby Fairs
- 3 Reasons You Need to Go to the Watermark Conference For Women
- Savvy Review: Luna Pads
- Savvy Food Finds: Arizona