Monarch butterflies are an integral part of nature, but like bees they’re sadly dwindling in number. So the National Wildlife Federation (NWF) has created an opportunity for families to spend more time together and help save butterflies at the same time. It takes just 10 minutes or less of your day to make a big difference in the world of a butterfly (and ultimately us all, really), but these activities area also a great way to educate kids about life sciences and the value of giving back to nature.
1. Take a Picture: The NWF Butterfly Hero campaign urges families to snap a photo of themselves saying “butterfly” in American Sign Language to show support and a promise to make a more livable world for butterflies. While supplies last, NWF will send a butterfly kit to families who upload their butterfly sign photo to the website. Families who submit pictures by May 15, 2015 will also be entered to win a trip for four to Walt Disney World!
2. Start a Garden: Make family time to decorate pots for your butterfly garden and get everything prepped before you plant. Here are some tips for a successful butterfly garden.
3. Plant Milkweed: Once your butterfly kit comes in (or if you happen to have milkweed at your local nursery), plant the milkweed seeds in your decorated pots, then nurture the habitat that will soon grow. Track the growth and progress of the milkweed seeds, along with the number of butterfly friends it attracts.
4. Talk to Your School About Habitats: There are habitat programs available for schools and communities interested in starting a butterfly habitat, the perfect real world science lesson for kids. Check out NWF’s resources, here.
This is not a sponsored post.
- Cloth Diapering Essentials: Must-Have Items for a Sustainable Baby Care
- The 9 Most Common Postpartum Nutrient Deficiencies and How to Prevent Them
- A Hidden Postpartum Crisis: The 411 on Postnatal Depletion Syndrome
- 6 Things You Need to Know Before Becoming a Dad
- Thoughtful First Mother’s Day Gifts That Will WOW the New Mom
- Extremely Thoughtful Holiday Gifts for Expecting Parents
- 3 Tips for Baby Proof Christmas Decorating
- 5 Meaningful Family Thanksgiving Bonding Activities
- The Ultimate Star, Moon and Cloud Baby Registry
- 3 Reasons You Need to Go to the Watermark Conference For Women
- The Shirt That’s Soothing Babies and Empowering Women
- Travleing With Kids: Packing For Two